The retail industry in the United States generates over 3 trillion dollars during the holiday season. One way to make it easier for your organization to capture those dollars is by participating in events like National Giving Tuesday and Small Business Saturday.
Held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (November 26th in 2016), Small Business Saturday was first observed in 2010 as a reaction to all of the big box (and even bigger ecommerce) purchasing frenzies that occur on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The event is sponsored and promoted by American Express, and encourages shoppers to visit small, local, and sometimes brick-and-mortar businesses.
Need some inspiration for where to shop on Small Business Saturday in Wisconsin? Here are a few of our favorite local companies:
Osmond Technologies offers hosting, web development, and an experienced team that can bring your custom iOS or Android App idea to life. They also offer hardware and software updates and upgrades for the PCs at your home or business.
Do you need help with your personal or business bookkeeping, financial accounting, or tax preparation needs? Talent Accounting Services can provide the accurate and affordable assistance you need from a Wisconsin Certified Public Accountant.
Seeking to grow your career or company? Results 4 You LLC offers coaching in the areas of Career Development, Leadership Development, Productivity and Engagement, and Lifestyle Satisfaction.
Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier opened for business in 2004, and today has won numerous local and national awards for her amazing handmade chocolates. Gourmet truffles, caramels, and more make amazing gifts and wedding favors.
After you have enjoyed the chocolate that you purchased with your amazing tax return, check out the Member Directory or All-Members map on Dane Buy Local in order to find the next Madison-area small business that you are looking for.
Here are a few other Small Business Saturday resources for shoppers or businesses owners in Wisconsin:
- The retailers in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward will have special offers on Saturday, November 26 from 10am to 6pm.
- Madison’s Monroe Street shops, restaurants, and service businesses will have gifts and giveaways for Small Business Saturday shoppers.
- Dodgeville, Wisconsin area businesses will offer special sales, free gift wrapping, free hot chocolate and cookies, and photo ops with Santa.
- The American Express Shop Small Studio has free, ready-to-use downloadable marketing materials for your website, social media, and retail store, plus expert content on how to get the most out of this special day.
- Check out these Ten Ways To Prepare For Small Business Saturday from Entrepreneur magazine.
- Does your small business stand out from the competition? Here’s how to get an advantage by offering a unique customer value proposition.
- Get holiday marketing ideas from this list of 41 Things to Do on Small Business Saturday, including How Small Business Owners Can Support Other Businesses.
Ready to get started with marketing your business for the holiday season? Do more in less time, and stay organized with our Marketing Planning Pack.